Thursday, October 21, 2010

Days are long, but the year will be short...

The first week of school was kindergarden compared to these past two weeks. My blackberry is in constant use as I schedule meetings, lunches, times to do homework, exercise, apereativos, more homework, and several group projects. The schedule never stays put though. Everyday new activities are added, some cancelled, and some have hours changed. The life of an MBA student is in perpetual motion. I know the course work presented in school is very important in developing our core business strengths, but I am pretty damn confident that close to 80% of the MBA's value comes from learning to manage 10 things at once and being able to deal with the unknown.

I am not sure if it is because I am at an Italian university or because the school has carefully crafted this as a teaching lesson, but I am in the dark of most important school activities until 1 day before it is to take place. It is a problem because of all the other things we are expected to do as an MBA.

I cannot complain now because I like the challenge. This is the ultimate crash course in organization. Filtering through all the details thrown at me to find the one or two important things has almost become second nature. It is amazing how quickly you can mature in an MBA program. All of us here are in a delicate balance. We are the future business leaders, so we must maintain some professionalism, but at the same time, we are young and need to have fun. We need to network. And we need to learn to accept others as they are. It is a big job, and I will continually learn from this experience. Next time I will include some pics of events including the CEO of Vodaphone's presentation, go karting with Pagani Zonda, wine tasting, Soccer in the Italian country side, and some other less cool pics...

No comments:

Post a Comment