Sunday, January 23, 2011

It pays to plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.

John Lennon said it best, " Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." And so it seems even after 30 years in the grave, John's words still hold true. When I applied for the MBA I knew that I would end up in industry. I had planned to work in beverages, renewable energy, or automotive, but as it turns out, I probably won't... Well, not this summer at least.

See, the problem is that Companies are a bit reluctant to let me move away from my financial background. I get it. I mean I really do. They are worried that without relevant experience in strategy and business development, I will be a liability and probably not worth the investment. In a way, I agree with them, but I am young, have great experience, and have graduated from two great schools (SCU and soon to be Bocconi), so I feel I deserve the chance. If they granted me an interview, there is no way they could turn me down, but since they won't even let me get that far, I am destined to follow my plan B.

Plan B is actually an awesome plan as well. It involves me to apply to several leading consulting firms and then do my internship there. If I am fortunate enough to get an internship, then one of three things will happen... I will realize that I actually really like management consulting, I can tolerate management consulting, or I loathe management consulting. I am placing my bets on number 1 or 2. I mean, spending a summer at least or a year in management consulting can be an amazing opportunity, especially if I land a gig at an exclusive firm.

So loyal readers (i.e, Melissa), wish me luck in the next couple weeks, and especially tomorrow during my first round interview at BCG!


No comments:

Post a Comment