Monday, August 30, 2010

Our fish doesn't smell...

Milano in the summer is kind of like spending time in an oven. Well, it is like being in an oven with 70% humidity and a ton of mosquitos. But if you look past all the negatives like the heat and bug bites, you will find a prettylively market scene. This past weekend I discovered two open air markets near my apartment, one was filled with crap, but had a very awesome food market at the end of it.

Even though Milan isn't very close to the sea (its pretty freaking far from it), they have the freshest fish. It is pretty amazing. At the market there is a huge fish section, and unlike China town in San Francisco, it doesn't smell. Not even a little. I promise. My roomate, Andre, and I picked up two huge freaking pie
ces of salmon for 2.50 Euro. The fish was fresh and delicious! The only bad thing about the market is that it was crawling with Gypsies... literally. They sit on thefloor in the most inconvenient location and stick their hands, feet, and cups out expecting you to give them all your money. I guess they might not always expect you to give them money, because rumor is that they also love to steal things from you.

The second market I went to was an antiques market. It was mostly old junk that I am pretty sure is worthless.The old italians were selling everything from old tobacco pipes, to telephones, to paintings that looked a couple hundred years old. Every table had basically the same things, and there was no awesome food market at the end, so I think I will stay away from that for a while.

In other news, I finally got hot waterin my apartment, so thats nice. Here are some pictures of my home for the next year...

1 comment: